Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dear Fellow Gardeners,
I decided to try starting a blog so we could all see what we all are saying about the garden and what needs to be done from week to week. BUT, I don't really know what I am doing with this blogging business, so it may be a bit cumbersome at first. Let's give it a try and see if we can figure it out!

Matt, Catherine, Ashley and BJ got the garden beds all plotted out and put string around them. Great job!!!

Here are comments I already recieved from Jill and Matt about what is happening.
Feel free to comment as you can!
Blessings,
Meme

Comments from Matt
As Catherine and I were discussing garden plans, we had some questions. First, I thought this Saturday (4/11)our team should plant: potatoes, peas, lettuce, and radishes, since these are all early planters. Does that sound good to you? Or is there already a timeline?

If we plant the list above, then we need to get the potatoes soon and get them chopped up and healed. Do we need to pick those up, or do you have some? If you have them, Ashley offered to cut them for us, so if you could give them to her Tuesday at pottery we'll do the rest. What about the other seeds?

Also, Catherine mentioned using rock for the paths of the garden. I would suggest that we use something else, either straw or roofing paper under straw or something along those lines. My reasoning is that rock will be more difficult to remove if we decide to change the plot sizes, whereas straw could just get tilled into the ground.

Finally, I saw that the recommend distance for tomato plants on the sheet was 2.5 to 3.5 feet. If we follow those guidelines we can only get 8 or 9 plants per plot. However, according to the "Vegetable Gardener's Bible" that I use as a guide, the plants can be much closer--15 inches apart, which means we could fit 27 plants per plot! Just information to consider as we start sizing things up. If we go with the Bible suggestion, we might not want 3 plots of tomatoes ;-)

Okay, I think that's it.

Comments from Jill Lokke about the garden:
Friends,
Beans, peppers, cabbages, and cucumbers need to be started in the greenhouse right away. We are welcome to just go over there and plant stuff. Susan has TUBS full of seeds. She has already started tomatoes and collards. I pulled out a few packets of seeds- no quite a few packets! She has another tub at her house with flower and herb seeds we need to check out. She said she'd bring them to the greenhouse.

For the next work days, after the irrigation is installed:Plants that can be direct-seeded or planted right away- lettuces, endive, radishes, peas, spinach, potatoes. The peas should probably have gone in yesterday, actually. Carrots could wait a couple of weeks. I'm not sure about chard.
Jill

1 comment:

  1. Sound fun but complicated what you are doing there :)

    ReplyDelete